Monday, February 22, 2010

organic cups

These cups/vases are made by a woman named Tina Vlassopulos. She has a beautiful line of work dealing with form and line and uses simple monochromatic colors to bring them out. The Vessel seen above captured my attention because of its irregular rim matched by the smooth curve of the piece itself. Also the Leaf like quality is enhanced a lot by the color of light brown glaze that she chose.
I love in her other pieces how she bends and stretches the rims to make a hanging pod like feeling. Also the idea that a piece can both be very sculptural, minimal and yet serve some purpose is very appealing to me.
These nesting forms are very beautiful the way that she has the lines set up so that they carry throughout her work are amazing. I love the implied circle created in the bottom form by the line in both the cup and saucer. It is also well thought of in the top one how the sloping line of the rim matches the curves and undulations in its saucer.
The work that Tina has produced has shown me that I need to take more time in considering what and how I want to make my forms. Also that organic pieces are able to take on a very formal and beautiful element.

No comments:

Post a Comment