Monday, February 15, 2010

rhythm


My interest in drums and resonance has been developing over the years since I started playing the djembe hand drum in high school and fell in love with the beats and rhythms that are possible. It has led me to look at several different kinds of drums which I now want to start to experiment with making.
The Ton or Tongue Drum is usually an acoustic box of some sort with slits cut in one side of it making different sized tabs. The size and shape of the tabs make different tones possible and they usually have a very resonant aerie sound.


The Ibo or Udu is a very interesting ceramic drum with many possibilities. I would really like to experiment with making some of these or something similar at least.
This is an instrument that I have recently become very interested in. It is called a Hang Drum
or just a Hang (hung or hong) it is a rhythm instrument but has a whole variety of its own tones and overtones so that it is a stand alone instrument. It is a newer instrument having been developed only in the last 8 years and only two people know how to make them correctly. I love the way it sounds and how it is rhythm and melody all at the same time. Here is a good example of what it can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LfJLvuZqmQ

No comments:

Post a Comment